POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dumb question regarding spheres & cameras : Re: Dumb question regarding spheres & cameras Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:15:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dumb question regarding spheres & cameras
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 23 Mar 2001 17:19:15
Message: <3abbcbe3@news.povray.org>
"Patrick Dugan" <pat### [at] usticom> wrote:

> Issue has been resolved.  Although I read a lot of feedback the problem
> was due to rendering resolution. The distortion came from rendering the
> image 1024x768.  There the spheres are warped (and incorrectly so to my
> eyes) so I tried rendering the image "square" at 1024x1024.  Voila!  The
> spheres are now correctly shaped and the perspective is normal to my
> eyeballs.

Are you sure?
With the standard perspective camera, objects are *always* stretched towards
the edges of the image, no matter what your aspect ratio. Near the sides of
the image, they are stretched laterally. If you simply changed the aspect
ratio of the image without modifying the up and right vectors, the image
would be stretched vertically (try it: for example render skyvase.pov with +h300
+w100). This might seem to compensate for the lateral stretching near the
image sides, but the center and upper & lower edges of the image would
still appear distorted.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee